State policymakers across the country have prioritized various forms of student-centered learning in 2021, not only as a strategy for pandemic recovery today, but also as an approach to rethinking the education systems we need for the future. Join experts from the Aurora Institute, Education Commission of the States and KnowledgeWorks as they share state policy trends in competency-based education and personalized learning from 2021 and discuss recommended pathways forward. Participants will also gain insights from policymakers in two states—Utah and Washington—who have committed to transitioning their education systems to better meet the needs of students.
- Jon Alfuth, Director of State Policy, KnowledgeWorks
- Ben Erwin, Policy Analyst, Education Commission of the States
- Fred Jones, Policy Director, Aurora Institute
- Alissa Muller, Director of the Mastery-Based Learning Collaborative, Washington State Board of Education
- Angie Stallings, Deputy Superintendent of Policy, Utah State Board of Education