By mastering the 12 foundational competencies, educators can build a solid foundation for continued growth. The competencies are a subset of those outlined in the Educator Competencies for Personalized, Learner-Centered Environments, created to empower a growing number of teachers to implement and scale up a transformation of their classrooms into places of personalized, student-centered learning. While Educator Competencies explores many areas, 12 competencies were flagged as foundational and ‘prerequisite’ to all others, including lifelong learning and growth.
Lifelong learning and Growth
Demonstrate commitment to lifelong professional learning and growth
Teachers who practice lifelong learning and growth:
- Share challenges and failures in addition to successes
- Find opportunities to learn new skills and deepen practice
- See problems as challenges rather than obstacles
- Examine personal practice, identify student needs and adjust teaching for continuous improvement
- Encourage student feedback on teaching practices and the learning environment
These videos help illustrate the foundational competency, “Lifelong Learning and Growth,” and feature:
- Fellow teachers demonstrating key techniques and strategies
- Experts and peers discussing practice
- Students reflecting on their experiences
Educators committed to continuous improvement use data to reflect on personal practice, identify student needs and adjust their teaching. Using video observation, constructive criticism and collaborative planning they constantly improve their lessons and instructional strategies to increase student achievement.
Giving students opportunities to reflect on their teachers’ practice enhances their sense of agency while providing teachers with valuable insights. This places students at the center of the reflection process for teachers looking to go deeper.
Learn more about this and other competencies, as well as how to transform classrooms into places of personalized, student-centered learning, by interacting with Educator Competencies for Personalized, Learner-Centered Environments.