By mastering the 12 foundational competencies, educators can build a solid foundation for continued growth. The competencies are a subset of those outlined in the Educator Competencies for Personalized, Learner-Centered Environments, created to empower a growing number of teachers to implement and scale up a transformation of their classrooms into places of personalized, student-centered learning. While Educator Competencies explores many areas, 12 competencies were flagged as foundational and ‘prerequisite’ to all others, including leading learners towards mastery.
Lead learners towards mastery
Utilize in-depth understanding of content and learning progressions to engage learners and lead individual learners toward mastery
Teachers who lead learners towards mastery:
- Communicate key concepts, tools of investigation and structures of the content area
- Build students’ understanding of the subject area, identifying misconceptions and intervening with scaffolding, explanation and targeted practice
- Create, adapt or use rubrics that clearly define “mastery” of key concepts
- Provide learning experiences that make content-based concepts accessible and meaningful
- Present content through multiple perspectives, engaging learners in critical thinking and collaborative problem-solving around local and global issues
Content can be more accessible and meaningful to students when they understand the “why” and the “how.” A science teacher outlines how educators might teach a lesson in an inductive way, allowing students to gradually build connections and understanding of a subject. This approach supports deeper learning and moves learners towards mastery.
While solving authentic local and global problems, students engage more fully with content when they have the opportunity to consider a variety of perspectives. Classroom footage and commentary from teachers and students provides an in-depth look at a science investigation related to food safety at local restaurants. This inquiry-based approach to content could be used in any classroom.
Learn more about this and other competencies, as well as how to transform classrooms into places of personalized, student-centered learning, by interacting with Educator Competencies for Personalized, Learner-Centered Environments.