By mastering the 12 foundational competencies, educators can build a solid foundation for continued growth. The competencies are a subset of those outlined in the Educator Competencies for Personalized, Learner-Centered Environments, created to empower a growing number of teachers to implement and scale up a transformation of their classrooms into places of personalized, student-centered learning. While Educator Competencies explores many areas, 12 competencies were flagged as foundational and ‘prerequisite’ to all others, including having a vision for teaching and learning.
Vision for teaching and learning
Maintain an orientation toward and commitment to a personalized, learner-centered vision for teaching and learning
Teachers who have mastered a vision for teaching and learning:
- Can explain how learner-centered education differs from traditional approaches
- Build relationships with students that foster their learning
- Know when to let students lead in the classroom
- Understand the ways personalized education better serves students who have historically been marginalized
These videos help illustrate the foundational competency, “Vision for Teaching and Learning,” and feature:
- Fellow teachers demonstrating key techniques and strategies
- Experts and peers discussing practice
- Students reflecting on their experiences
Elementary and high school staff articulate the components of a learner-centered classroom, such as the importance of voice and choice and the role of teacher as a facilitator. The teachers maintain a commitment to creating and sustaining a vision for personalized learning environments.
To best serve students from groups from historically marginalized groups, it is important to understand how a personalized, learner-centered environment meets their needs. Teachers and students discuss the ways in which mastery-based education and culturally responsive education bolster each other to benefit students.
Learn more about this and other competencies, as well as how to transform classrooms into places of personalized, student-centered learning, by interacting with Educator Competencies for Personalized, Learner-Centered Environments.