Our federal policy and advocacy work is focused on six areas for building policy environments that support long-term personalized and competency-based learning at scale. Each of these areas and their strategies emphasize strong partnerships between federal, state and local leaders to ensure alignment and sustainable transformation across the education system.
- Assessment: We recommend empowering states to design balanced assessment systems; prioritizing investment in assessment redesign; and expanding and improving opportunities for states to pilot and scale innovative assessment approaches that drive deeper learning.
- Accountability: Empowering states to pilot holistic accountability programs that center community voices and empower diverse stakeholders to address inequity.
- Support for educators: Expanding personalized and competency-based professional development for educators and leaders; fostering professional development in social-emotional learning and personalized learning; and modernizing teacher preparation.
- Student learning pathways: Expanding and targeting resources for access and completion of student learning pathways including competency-based pathways and college in high school programs; and making Pell grants available to low-income students seeking to take college courses in high school.
- Culture of innovation: Building state and local capacity to pilot, evaluate and scale innovative, personalized and competency-based practices.
- Continuous school improvement: Building local capacity to help schools farthest from opportunity design personalized learning solutions.